Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Homefront: Star Trek DS9



I watched the two part story of Deep Space Nine entitled Homefront the other day and I became very interested in the title of the episodes. The original air date was the 1st of January in 1996 but who would imagine that the 5th of August 2002 in a speech by George W. Bush, he would use the term "Homeland" when referring to what used to be called the nation, republic, or domestic soil of the United States of America. Suddenly the U.S. is the Homeland that needs to be protected and retaliation must be swift. Homeland is an odd and scary term to me because it has echoes of The Fatherland used by the Nazi Propaganda machine and now the Homeland propaganda machine is in high gear ever since that date. People can believe what they want to believe, but The U.S. is not the same place it used to be and that is a shame and sad.
Everytime I watch Star Trek DS9, I am amazed at how prophetic many of the episodes are, such as the Sanctuary Districts which I wrote about a while back.
If you have not watched these episodes, I think them well worth the time and see if you can recognize anything in these stories with the current events of today.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment