Thursday, October 29, 2009

Chicken Shepherd's Pie




Yes, I am aware that chickens don't have shepherds. But I thought if I called this "Chickherd's Pie" you would really think I had gone off my rocker. If anyone has alternate ideas for what I should call this, bring 'em on!In the meantime, here is how this little number was born. A little while ago I made this:


Which I loved (I am a sucker for comfort food of any kind), and while I was eating it I thought, what if instead of a more conventional crust, I used mashed potatoes? And, what if instead of using regular mashed potatoes, I used THESE mashed potatoes???


I think my heart actually started beating faster.

So what you have here is a thick chicken pot pie base, with lots of carrots and peas and other good stuff, topped with a layer of cheesy mashed potatoes, and then baked until the potatoes are browned on top (but still gorgeously creamy underneath). You can make it in either individual dishes, or do it all in one casserole and scoop out the servings. Which will look like this.



Is anyone else salivating right now besides me?

Sorry. Anyway, here is a recipe mash-up of the chicken pot pie and the aligot potatoes, and if anyone has any better recipe title ideas, don't hold back.




CHICKEN SHEPHERD'S PIE


Serves 4


4 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 cup flour
Salt and pepper
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 cup frozen peas
1/1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1 tablespoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese


1. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add carrot and onion and saute for 6 minutes.

2. Add flour and stir to coat. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

3. Add broth to carrot mixturem whisking constantly. Bring to boil and then simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.

4. Add chicken, peas, thyme and season with salt and pepper.

5. Divide mixture among 4 single serving baking dishes. Preheat oven to 425.

6. Put sliced potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Add salt. Bring potatoes to a boil, partially cover and, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and wipe out pot.

7. Put potatoes, garlic and butter into food processor and process for 10 seconds. Add one cup of milk and process until smooth, about 30 seconds more.

8. Put potatoes back into pot over medium heat. Gradually stir in cheese, stirring continuously until cheese is melted and potatoes are smooth. If mixture becomes too thick, gradually stir in more milk until creamy.

9. Spread potatoes over chicken mixture. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until top of potatoes start to brown (watch it carefully). Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment