Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blue Cheese and Fig Jam Crostini


I realize that for a while there I was posting about crostini ALL THE TIME, and I needed to get ahold of myself.  But it's been a while now, and I can only resist the crostini siren song for so long, and so here I am back again in my crostini groove.  This time with fig jam and blue cheese.  Can you blame me?  I can't blame me.  

So, just to repeat what I have already said a million times before, crostini is as simple as grabbing a loaf of french bread, slicing it on the diagonal into nice thin slices, brushing them with olive oil and baking them until they are just a little crispy.  We're not looking for brown here, except maybe around the edges...just a nice toasty feel.

Cool 'em down, and then all that is left to do is spread them with a little fig jam or chutney (I used jam) and a small slice of your favorite blue cheese.  I had some Maytag blue, but a creamy Gorgonzola would be heaven as well.

And there you are, right there on the crostini highway with me.

Blue Cheese and Fig Jam Crostini, adapted from Real Simple

  • 24 thin slices baguette (from 1 small loaf)

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • 3/4 cup fig jam or chutney

  • 4 ounces blue cheese, thinly sliced

  1. Heat oven to 400° F. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush both sides of the bread with the oil. Bake until just crisp, about 10 minutes.

  2. Dividing evenly, spread the jam or chutney on the toasted baguette slices and top with the cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment