Sunday, October 17, 2010

Asparagus and Ham Oven Frittata


There is something that is just so comforting about anything made with eggs.  I don't know what it is about them...maybe it reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would make scrambled eggs for breakfast every Sunday.   At least I THINK it was my dad.  He was definitely the one who bought the crumb cake at the local bakery, and just on the basis of that I am going to go ahead and give him credit for making the scrambled eggs, too.



Hi Daddy!

Anyway,  this is why I love a good frittata - that and the fact that it is so dang easy to make.  Frittatas are usually made on the stovetop, but they can also be made in the oven and that is what I like to do -- they are amazingly easy that way.  Now, this particular one also helped me with this little project I have going on lately, which is to try a different cheese each week that I haven't tried before.  This particular week I tried a cheese called comte cheese, which was like a mash-up of cheddar and parmesan and was very delish...but if you can't lay your hands on some comte cheese, a nice sharp cheddar will work perfectly well.

So here's the deal.  Blanch a handful of asparagus in boiling water for a minute or two  - just until they are nice and bright green.  Chop up some ham (and dare I say it?  if you are clean out of ham, a handful of cooked bacon will work just fine.  Actually, if you are out of anything at all a handful of bacon will do just fine.  This is a basic truth in life.)  Mix up some eggs and toss in the ham and the cheese.  Pour it all into a round oven-safe dish.  I use a 9 inch cake pan for this - it works perfectly.  Now take your  bright green asparagus and arrange them in a pretty design, and pop the whole shebang in the oven for about 30 minutes.  Make a nice green salad in the meantime.  By the time you are finished making the salad and setting the table, your frittata will be brown and hot and wonderful.  Slice it up the same way you would slice a pie and you are all ready for the perfect comfort food meal!

Asparagus and Ham Oven Frittata, adapted from Il de France

  • 8 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 cups grated comte or cheddar cheese
  • 2/3 cup chopped or sliced ham
  • 6 sun-dried tomato halves, softened in water and thinly sliced
  • Pinch red pepper
  • 14-16 asparagus spears, bottoms trimmed and blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Whisk eggs and milk until well-combined. Stir in cheese, ham, sun-dried tomato and pepper.

3. Grease a 9 inch round pan, pour in egg mixture. Arrange asparagus on top like the spokes of a wheel.

4. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden. Cool for 5 minutes, cut into sections and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment