Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tomato and Bacon Sandwiches with Bacon Basil Mayo

Heirloom tomato sandwich with bacon and basil bacon mayo.

Now, being the card-carrying lifetime member of the Bacon Appreciation Club that I am, I do love a good old bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich.  For some reason I always forget that 99% of the time I have the makings for one of these in my kitchen, and then one day I am casting around for something to make for lunch and it dawns on me...a BLT!  And it always makes me ridiculously happy.

This particular sandwich is not the classic BLT, but it's a prettz jazzy spin on it.  For one thing, there is no L in it.  There certainly could be, I just didn't happen to have any in my fridge because we were just back from vacation.  What I did have was some thick cut bacon, and some Vermont heirloom tomatoes, and a loaf of country bread, and some good old fashioned mayo, and a whopping big barrel of fresh basil in the back yard.

This one is all about the mayo.  You cook up the bacon however you usually do, but make 1 extra slice of it.  Take that cooked slice and mix it up with about a quarter cup of mayo, a good handful of chopped basil and a nice grinding of black pepper.  Spread your bread (toasted or not, your choice, I like it not) with this bacon basil mayo.  Layer on the tomato and the bacon.  Put some lettuce on if you want to.  Top with another piece of bread.  Aren't you happy?

:-)



Tomato and Bacon Sandwiches with Bacon Basil Mayo, adapted from Taste of the South

8 slices bread
2-3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
5 slices bacon, cooked
salt and pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2-3 tablespoons chopped basil

1. Combine mayo, basil and one slice of bacon that has been chopped into small pieces

2. Cut the remaining bacon slices in half.  Spread the bread slices with the mayo mixture.

3. Lay two slices of tomato on bread.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place two bacon slices on top.  Cover with another later of bread.  Serve at once.


No comments:

Post a Comment