Thursday, September 16, 2010

Turf Wars: or a Guerilla Garden Battle

When I started my little garden round the tree stump near my apartment, I never realized how attached I would become to this public, vulnerable little patch. We water it every day and observe how each particular plant is doing.....


You will notice rather a bare patch where an evil-doer has removed a plant..... actually, about eight plants have vanished over the months......usually nice bright pink or yellow ones which is why we've been putting in herbs and stuff just with leaves......


My friend Luis has a much bigger and better guerilla garden at 25th St and 9th Avenue,
and is often to be seen tending it. We chat and compare notes. 
"Oh yes," says Luis, his plants often go missing too...... 
and he knows exactly where they go. Hm.......

So I wander a little to the west and discover a wonderful garden, well tended and full of plants I recognize only too well........So we leave a note saying: "I hope you are enjoying our plants; we miss them."
 


A case in point: the coleus with orange and green leaves (top left) was in the gap in picture #1.
This is all very funny really.
"Get a life," I hear you say......."What do you expect living in the middle of the city."
But still, I do wish she'd knock it off and get her own plants......We got rather attached to ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment